A Contagious Praise

On Sunday evening during choir practice, our choir director was sharing an excerpt from a book study with us on "Praise as discipline and diet" by J.I Packer.   Packer shares how praise is a crucial part of our walk with the Lord, and how it nourishes us.  He goes on to explain that when we hear an amazing chorus of praise, like that talked of in Psalm 96:3, how would we not want to join in. Praise can be contagious.

Packer also shares an observation by C.S. Lewis...
"
"As C.S. Lewis sorted through his questions about this activity, he began to notice the kinds of people who praised (anything) and those who simply didn't.   He observed that 'cranks, misfits, and malcontents praised least,'  while the 'humblest, and at the same time most balanced and capacious minds, praised most.'  He noticed that lovers seemed to praise most of all, and to delight in drawing others into their praise of the beloved one."



It is so true and I saw this take place on Sunday morning with a man in our congregation who was recently in a serious car accident on February 4th of this year.  In all reality, the accident was so serious that it could have taken his life, but God had other plans for him.

As I was singing in the choir, I had a front row seat to see this man (Kevin) drawing others into the praise of his Beloved One.  With his wife holding him up, he was singing for an audience of One, and all other things and people faded away.

Not only did he draw people into worship, he also made his God so glorious.  God rescued his life, rewarded him with joy, and is healing him completely.  That is something to praise the Lord for! God is so glorious, but we can waste His glory when we don't glorify the glorious One.

This morning he texted a verse to Mark,

"I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me.  I know the Lord is always with me.  I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me." Psalm 16:7-8 (NLT)

Thank you Kevin for helping us to see this contagious praise!  You are such a testimony to us!!
small signature

Comments

Popular Posts