Weight Loss Journey - Day 14

Okay, so I am not doing so hot on my journey today.  We had too much junk in the house.  I am sure everyone can relate!  We had a get together on Thursday evening which resulted in way too many leftovers.  The upside - all the food is gone (now).  The downside - we ate it! 


This is where I struggle so please help me out.  I don't want to cook bad (gross) food for company.   Then after the company leaves I don't want to waste the leftovers.  I am southern in the fact that any sort of company needs a dessert...right?  Last year I had to put my foot down and stopped preparing dessert for company.  I knew my struggle was too great at the time so I just wasn't able to make dessert and stay on track.  This year I thought I had conquered the struggle.  I was wrong!


Are desserts wrong?  Not at all!  But for me, one dose of sugar turns into a huge sugar battle.  All I seem to crave and want is sugar.  Okay way too much information! 


I want to share something that Lisa and I decided last year at the start of our journey that will hopefully be helpful to you and I (since I am struggling so much! Ha!).   Right before we started the Made To Crave study we decided to choose one thing to go without for 6 weeks.   We wanted to deny something that we might crave on a daily basis to crave God instead.  We wanted to get serious about this food struggle and really get serious about our relationship with the Lord.  There is no way to grow in our walk with the Lord if we are constantly craving other things and not the Lord.  We wanted to allow God into this area of our life once and for all.  By denying our greatest food desire we were able to rely on God and the strength that He has made available to His children.  Our six weeks turned into almost 5 months.  We felt great physically and spiritually! 


Some might not struggle with food like Lisa and I, but maybe you struggle with entertainment, relationships, or substance abuse.  There are so many forms of idols in life and until we get to the root of our idols we won't be able to focus completely and fully upon the Lord.  He should be the only One we crave.  Not food.  Not drugs.  Not relationships. Not relaxing in front of the T.V.  But God Himself!


Hebrews 11:6 says, "He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Seek also means to crave in this verse.  When we are continually seeking and craving God, He does reward us.  He is the reward!  


Hebrews 11:26 says, "He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward."   There is nothing in life of greater worth than Christ.  When our idols get in the way then we don't see the worth of God.  It is when we deny ourselves our greatest human desires we see the greatest treasure. 


This week may we do some denying so that we may see life's greatest treasure - God Himself!

Comments

Popular Posts