How To Make and Post A Printable


I was asked to write a guest post for Jenifer from http://www.mun-emakingblogs.blogspot.com/.  She asked if I would write a post on how to make and post my printable calendars.  I decided to share it with you guys as well.  I hope you enjoy this tutorial!
I am so thrilled to share with you today how I go about making my printables.  Today I will share with you how I make a printable calendar.   For all of my printables I use Microsoft Publisher.  Right now that is what I have been able to afford and it is very easy to work with.  Someday I would love to purchase Adobe’s Photoshop or Creative Suite, but for now I am happy with Publisher. 
The first thing I do when designing anything is look for ideas.  I will look for color combos using anything that catches my eye.  For instance, this room has tons of wonderful colors that really catch my eye. 
Turquoise popping here and there: I LOVE this color, I really adore it!
I will choose two or three colors from a picture that work well together and then set out to create my project.  I love using digital papers for my creations and have a small collection that I use over and over again.  The neat thing about digital papers is that you can use the same paper over again with a different look by changing the color of the paper using your design program.  I have found most of my papers through an online craft site called Etsy.  There are so many beautiful papers to choose from.  The most important thing when choosing a paper is to read the paper designers Copyright policy.   I usually will email a designer letting them know what I am doing to see if it is okay with them.  Most of the time it is fine, but I want to be above reproach when it comes to Copyright laws.  There are some designers that design paper only for personal use and it would be wrong for me to post it for the world if that wasn’t their intention.  Also, some designers use a photo stock site, but the prices can be very high.  I do not pay any more than $2.00-$5.00 for a complete digital paper pack.  Photo stock websites start at $15.00 for just one image.
I also chose my Verses before I start my project so that I know what direction I am heading before creating.  If I don’t I find myself staring at a blank screen for a while trying to come up with ideas.  February reminds me of love so my verse for February is Deuteronomy 6:5, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”  I could also have used a verse in 1 Corinthians 13, which is the love chapter of the Bible. 
Now that I have picked my colors, paper, and verse I can start laying out my project.  I start with my background first and layer each item on top.  This calendar is so simple and does not require much design at all.  I put my paper in the back ground, added a white box to go behind February, and then added my text.  I thought it would be fun to make each letter of February a different color so I chose colors within my theme and went to town.  When picking a font I usually type in my word, highlight it, and run down my font list to see which font looks the best.  Very original I am sure.  Smile  I then use my Publisher program to add a table which will be my calendar.  Then I put in my numbers, days of the week, and verse.  This is so simple.  The hardest part is picking out the colors and font. 
When I am done creating I save my document three ways.  I save it as a Publisher document, a PDF file, and a PNG (portable network graphics format).  When saving it as PDF or PNG you have to go up to the top left of the page and click “Save As”.  In the “Save As” screen you will see a Save As Type button at the bottom of the Save As box under File Name.  You will want to chose your options from that button by clicking on it and choosing PDF or PNG (each separately). 
After I have saved my document I then upload my file to an online storage website.  I use Dropbox, but there are other free storage websites as well. Dropbox not only stores my documents for me it also gives me a link to put on my blog post.  Anyone that clicks on the link has immediate access to my document.  Another neat thing about Dropbox is that they give you a box to put on your computer desktop that allows you to just drop your file into the box.  This is why it is called Dropbox.  After it is dropped it shows up in your online Dropbox account.  I only upload my PDF file to Dropbox.  I use PDF because it is a permanent document that cannot be altered and everyone who downloads a PDF reader can view and print this type of document. 
Now that everything is in place I start my blog post.  In my post I will upload a picture of my calendar.  This picture is not found in the picture folder of my computer, but in the document folder.  I look for my February Calendar document that has a PNG at the end.  This is the picture I will upload to my blog post.  I then copy and paste the link for my PDF document from Dropbox and put it under the calendar.  You can add your own text to the link by inserting a Hyperlink.  This allows you to write your own text for the link.  For instance, if I don’t want the link to say, http://www.thebloggingpastorswife.blogspot.com/2012/01/printable-calendars-for-february-2012.html  then I can make it say,  Click Here To Print by using the Link button on the blogger tool bar.
After you have completed your post you should be set to go.  The whole world will now be able to see and print your printable. 
I hope this tutorial helps you.  If you have any questions please ask! 
Many blessings as you create!
Valerie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts