Saturday Series: Stretching Your Dollar Part Two

This weeks Stretching Your Dollar Series is on Home Decor.  I love to decorate and it can be TONS of fun if you don't go in debt in the process.  For most people decorating the way you want is a process that takes many years.

When Mark and I first got married almost everything we owned was either given to us or bought second-hand.  We were so thankful that God provided for us in that way!

Spending your money wisely no matter how much you have is being a good steward with what God has given.

Here are some ways I have learned to save the most money on furnishing a home...

  • Shop Craigslist!  Craigslist is an online classified website for areas all around America.  We have found tons furniture from craigslist for very low prices.   We have bought furniture that just needed a little paint to make it look new again.

  • Auctions - Many towns have an auction house that have auctions at least once a month. You can get some wonderful deals at these auctions. 

  • Yard Sales - This should go unsaid.  If you find the right yard sale you can score big.  I have bought a decorative mirror for only $2, an antique desk for $10, and a nice primitive shelf for $3.  We also bought a very nice outdoor rug for $8.  Yard sales have great treasures if you are up for the hunt.  BUT you shouldn't go overboard.  If you don't need it or won't use it, you shouldn't buy it. :)  I learned the hard way on this!

  • T.J. Maxx, Ross, Marshals, or HomeGoods - These are all discount stores that have wonderful home decor finds.  HomeGoods is a T.J. Maxx store that only sells stuff for the home.   We went to Target to find some curtains and home decor for our new house, but found it more than I was hoping to pay.  I headed over to T.J. Maxx and Ross to find the same things, but 50% cheaper than Target.  If I am going to buy something new these are my go to stores.  I always start with the clearance first just to see what my options are.   I found a rug at T.J. Maxx for $125 less than almost the same rug at Lowes.  Do some checking before you buy.

  • DIY - Do It Yourself.  Some home decor can be made at your kitchen table for over 1/2 the cost.  Check your favorite store's website to see if there might be an idea you could make.  I have made my own projects for up to 90% less than if I would have bought it in the store.

  • Dual Purpose Decoration - I have recently planted herbs to use in my cooking, but it has made great kitchen decoration.  It only cost a few dollars to plant and it makes the kitchen look good.  I also planted a couple of flowers that were under $1 to use as my centerpiece for the spring.  Great cheap decoration.

  • Use What You Have - Look through things you already have and REdecorate with them.  Sometimes a simple redirection can make a huge difference.  Use paint to change the color of a shelf, frame, or table.  When we were tired of our kitchen table we painted it and changed the seat covers.  It took on a whole new look!  It's almost time to repaint and change the seat covers again.


Use your imagination!  If you don't have one ask a friend or look online for ideas.

Next week part three will be:  Stretching Your Dollar by Saving Online.

Blessings,

Valerie

 

Comments

Popular Posts