Southern Style Green Beans

Over the past few years I have made a goal to make some good green beans.  I should not tell you that I used to open a can, put the beans in a microwave, and then serve.  I don't know if you have ever had it that way, but the green beans will actually squeak on your teeth.  So...after my husbands kind words of these aren't good, I decided to learn how to make good southern green beans without the bacon fat.  I looked everywhere but couldn't find a recipe.  So, after tweaking and tweaking I finally am able to post a real southern style green bean recipe.

  • 1 can of green beans (most of the time I use Hanover)

  • 1 chicken boullion cube per small can or 2 for a large

  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil

  • Some onion powder

  • Salt

  • Sugar

  • Garlic Powder


Put the green beans in a pot and turn the stove on to medium high heat. Take 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add it to the green beens...the oil acts as a binding agent to pull all of the flavors together.  Then, take some onion powder and pour over the top of the green beans until lightly covered (I know this sounds crazy, but it makes it good.)  Put in the bouillon cubes, a small amount of salt, and a very small amount of garlic powder and sugar.  I can't tell you the exact measures because I never measure these ingredients.   Simmer/boil for 30-40 minutes on medium high heat, and then turn down to low for 20 minutes.  Cover with a lid so the liquid doesn't evaporate.

And there you have good healthier southern style green beans.

Comments

Popular Posts