This is my favorite bread recipe so far. It usually turns out better looking on the top, but I put a little too much flour in it. I have been trying to make more things from home so that we will not eat so many preservatives. I have really enjoyed cooking, and it is so much easier with a baby who is quieter. :)
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
The bread is a little sweet so if you do not like to taste the sweetness cut back on the sugar. For us, we love it just like it is.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
- Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
To make the croutons you just slice, butter, and dice. Put on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes on 350. They are just as good as Cracker Barrel's croutons!!